Friday, November 26, 2004

Evite Blog Summary

Since I can only write 1-2 paragraphs, under 250 words about the process of blogging in my final blog, I have decided to make this 2nd to last blog a summary of what I have learned about Evite from doing this blogging exercise.

Evite is an online event planning and organizing tool. It allows organizers to easily collect and sort out comments from invitees, like whether he/she will go, what he/she will bring, and other responses that the organize asked. An invitee can see on one webpage who is invited, who is going, what other invitees will bring, and their responses to the organizer's question. I thought about the benefits and drawbacks of Evite as an event planning and organizing tool, but I realize that the benefit outweigh the drawback, that is why I continue to use Evite.

Evite is like emails, but it does not necessarily have the same effects on social relationships. I explained an example where Evite does not sustain relationships. I also described Evite as a community using a socio-technical perspective and technical perspective. Evite is not a good tool for activists trying to protest against something or someone. It can be used to initiate and organize a gathering, but it is not a good tool to sustain the relationship amongst the members.


Also from doing this assignment, I realized that in general, Evite is more efficient as an event planning and organizing tool when many participants are involved. Events were only a few people will be present and/or where a few people are invited is more efficient if other ways of communication is used (i.e. telephone, ICQ, MSN, etc.) since quicker replies can be received.

Lastly, I found out that there may be a flaw in Evite's privacy policy, or that it is a way for it to make money, but selling information to people or organizations outside of the business partnership (i.e. other companies who are not affiliated to Evite). This is something that users need to be aware of when signing up on Evite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home